Dental implants are posts surgically placed into the upper or lower jawbone and are an effective way to replace missing natural teeth. A dental implant is the next best thing to the real thing.
Benefits of Dental Implants:
- Implants offer firm support and won’t slip or shift in your mouth
- Implants feel more natural than removable partial or complete dentures
- Implants help to preserve the bone after teeth are lost or removed
- Implants are a good value. They may seem like a more expensive option at first, but if you care for them properly they can last a lifetime.
Types of Dental Implants
Single Tooth Implant
- A single tooth implant replaces the missing tooth’s roots.
- It is a stand-alone unit and does not involve treating the teeth next to it.
- An implant-supported bridge replaces the lost natural teeth and some of the roots when more than one tooth is missing
- Unlike traditional bridges, an implant-supported bridge does not need support from the teeth next to it.
- An implant-supported denture can be a good option if you are missing all of your teeth.
- An implant-supported denture tends to be a comfortable and stable solution since the bone in your jaw naturally grows around the implants.
Caring for your Denture
Like natural teeth, you must take good care of your dentures.
- Clean your denture everyday. Take it out of your mouth and rise off. It is best to use a special brush when cleaning your dentures, but you can also use a toothbrush with soft bristles. To clean, wet your denture brush and put denture cleaner on it. You may also use a little bit of liquid dish soap.
- Do not use toothpaste to clean dentures. Some toothpastes have abrasive particles that can damage your denture.
- Keep your denture in water or in a specially made denture soaking solution when you are not wearing it. Remember to rinse your denture well after using denture cleanser before you put it back into your mouth.
- Use a denture cleanser that has the American Dental Association Seal of Acceptance.
Keep your denture away from children and pets to prevent it from being damaged.